Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Grandpa


Grandpa has decided not to die, people! My Dad has stage 4 Non-small cell lung cancer and he's not been in the best of health lately. A mini stroke, some falls, mental confusion, weight loss, you name it he's been going through it. As you can imagine it would be hard to sit inside a dying body and watch the world go on around you... it must have been difficult to keep a positive outlook. The last few weeks I have been trying to spend more time helping out in any way I can, and just hanging out with my parents. It's been great and hard at the same time. It's awfully difficult to see your parents in such compromised situations. Vunerable. As a mom and a wife, I am really truly seeing things in such a different light. I think mostly about being a parent and leaving my family prematurely and about being a wife loosing her husband of 42 years. Yesterday I went over to spend the afternoon with my dad, just him and I. And he was up and about and very talkitive. There was no shuffling around, or wide confused eyes-- he was different. We sat down and chatted over a cup of coffee, and he told me that he's not ready to leave us -- "I'm not ready to die yet".

I am a believer in mind over matter and I can see it working in him. I've heard the stories of people curing them selves by thinking positively -- and who knows, it could happen! Even if his positive thoughts just buy us more time I'm ok with that too.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm thinking of you & your family Becky.

Margo said...

Your family is in our thoughts and prayers, we love you!

Unknown said...

I love your dad so much, and am thinking of him every single day. Kisses to everyone!! Maybe I can come with you for a visit soon? I miss your family.

Jenny said...

This is a heartbreaking yet hopeful post...I will be praying for miraculous healing!

It was great to finally spend some time with you. Your little girl is such an adorable, brilliant child!

I also love that she is exactly 4 months older than Wes, how fun!

The Casault Family said...

My husband is going through the same thing. His mom has stage 4 ovarian, we found out Dec.28th and doctors had to treat her quickly and aggressively. She was so glad he came out early, because she was scared they couldn't do anything for her, but she's doing well and she swears it because of my son, Kingston. She too said she's not ready to go. I believe that all the positive thinking helps and the power of prayers. I hope your dad keeps fighting. My thoughts and prayers goes out to you and your family.

Laura D. said...

I am so glad to hear that things have changed a bit for the better since we last talked. Enjoy all the time you have with him and keep those positive thoughts flowing!